For my extra credit piece I did the weaving. I started out by drawing the picture I wanted on the strings that I wove. After I drew my picture I started out with the blue and then started adding in the orange and white yarn. I did one stripe at a time until I finished the fish. After I finished the fish I finished going around it with the blue and then I added the eye and bubbles on top by just sewing on top of the already woven parts. Then I added the outline of the fin and then I was done!
For my pit firing piece I started by making the basket from clay. I got a large piece of clay and flattened it then cut it in long strips. After I had cut it in the strips, I used a mold and started wrapping the strips around it in one direction and then weaving the rest into it in the other direction. After I made the basket we fired it and then wrapped it in foil with leaves and sticks that would burn and make the smokey affect.
For my dwelling project I used a tree branch, cardboard, and tongue depressors. I found a tree branch in my backyard and then used cardboard to make the base of the house. I used a hot glue gun and built it around the tree lim. After I had the structure made from cardboard I used the tongue depressors and glued them on the cardboard to resemble shingles. I added a shed roof with a slight slant. I also added a window by cutting out a hole in the front and added shutters. I also used more tongue depressors to make a ladder and just hot glued it to the bottom.
For the free or under $3 project I decided to carve soap. I got a pack with three bars for $1.50. I looked at Pinterest for different animals to carve. Once I found what animals I wanted to do I started by drawing the outline and then began to carve out the shape. After I carved the shapes I had to round out the edges and add more textures to make it look more like the animals. Overall I enjoyed doing this project and carving the soap. Pinterest link: http://pinterest.com/kpruett00/sculpture-ceramics/
For my vessel I decided to do a simple bowl with a design on it. I sculpted the bowl and the butterflies separately and then attached them together. Before firing the bowl I carved a design into it to give it some texture. After firing I decided I wanted to make it all one color so I painted it all light blue and then added some other shades of the same color to give it more detail. I enjoyed this project but wish I had done something else with more shape to it.
Pinterest link: http://pinterest.com/kpruett00/sculpture-ceramics/
For my animal head project I chose to do a pig. I started out with a round piece of clay and then started to shape the face from the inside pushing out certain spots. I shaped the face and the snout from the round piece of clay and then made the ears and attached them later. I used a carving tool to add details like the wrinkles on the nose and the eyes later.
Of these two reliefs, I found the clay tile the hardest. I thought this was harder because I had not really worked with clay that much before so I found it hard to make it 3D and to make an animal out of it. I thought the cardboard relief was easier because I could draw my image on the cardboard before I had to cut it out, and also it wasn't as 3D so that made it easier.
For this piece we were told to do make something with human and nature. I thought this could work because the sun and moon are considered nature, but with the faces they are also human. To make this piece I had to learn a new technique since I had never really worked with cardboard other than for the relief, so I was using a new media also. It was a lot different than working with clay or than just drawing on paper, which is what I am used to. Doing this piece, I created my own original work. I thought of the idea and looked at a few pictures for inspiration, but I drew out my own design and used the different textures in the cardboard to make it my own and original.
I created this with a styrofoam cup. I used an exacto knife and cut out sections while still leaving enough support for it to stay standing in its original shape. After I cut out sections I added pieces back in, in different spots. A problem I had when I was making this was getting it to still stand up without pieces. I overcame this by adding in other pieces to give it more support.
If I were to do this again I would mostly likely change what I did by coming up with a plan of what I was going to cut out, instead of just cutting out random pieces.
My sculpture inspiration is Ignacio Canales Aracil. He is a spanish artist who creates sculptures with pressed flowers. The art of flower pressing was first discovered in a 3,000 year-old coffin in Egypt. Ignacio's technique is a little bit different though. He depends on large cone-shaped molds and places carefully woven patches of hand-picked flowers around them. The pieces dry up for a month without any adhesive and the final product is rigid enough to stand without any support.
Ignacio's work inspires me because I think it is amazing how he takes something as simple and delicate as a flower and makes a sculpture that is sturdy enough to stand alone. His art draws me in because even though he puts the flowers in a completely different form, they still maintain their beauty and look so delicate. My favorite piece is the one below because I think he used all the flowers and their colors so perfectly.